Friday, May 30, 2008

a tale of complete and glorious vindication

so, the college i work for is undergoing extensive remodeling. so they had me and my fellow grunts moving lots and lots of furniture of all different sizes and shapes from one big room outside to waiting boxcar containers. during our afternoon break i got on the radio and asked cynthia (all names have been changed to protect those involved) what she wanted us to start moving next. she told me specifically that we needed to move the stacks of cubicle walls. there was no misunderstanding. no stuttering. she was very clear. so i relayed this info to my coworkers and we set to moving the 500 pounds of walls for the next two hours. when i was rolling the last load of them up to the container, my boss was standing there wondering why we had moved all of that stuff in there...because it wasn't supposed to be moved. he wanted to know who's idea it was to do so and my coworkers pointed at me, as they should have because that much was true. cynthia, who was standing right there...said nothing. she let me take the fall in a big way. i was very, very angry but held my tounge. so today i did something above and beyond the call of grunt-dom and my boss made the comment "mcclain was right about something again!" i asked him what he meant and he told me that the cubicle walls did after all need to be moved.
so instead of looking stupid for something when it wasn't my fault, i ended up looking smart when i didn't deserve it!
life is good, pass this guy a brew.

4 comments:

erin said...

Sweet! You didn't even have to do anything.
Good work.

Kristin said...

That keeping-ur-mouth-shut thing can really pay off some times. I'm finally learning that!

Jodi said...

That's great, and kudos to you for being able to keep your mouth shut.

Katie R. said...

I'd drink to that. I'm impressed you kept quiet. Nice work. I would have said something I'm sure I'd have regret later.