Thursday, July 31, 2008

dillema

so i was at work (well, AM at work) and my fellow lackey posed a question to me. here it is.

there are 100 people and you have a choice.
either you can take a 50/50 chance. one way all 100 live. the other way all 100 die.
OR
you can sacrifice 10 people and guarantee the saftey of the remaining 90.
what do you do?

im interested to see what you all think. i personally find it to be an incredibly stratifying (and brilliant) question. it really shows you which side of the line you stand on.

6 comments:

erin said...

Well.
It would depend on whether or not there was dill on the premises.
Or anyone named Emma.
Then you would really have a dilemma.

Anonymous said...

Erin and I discussed, we'd do the 50/50; that way it's all or nothing. That way you don't have to choose who lives or dies, you're making the "effort" to save everybody. And at least if you fail, nobody will be left to yell at you.

--Lauren

theswamphare said...

I don't like being compelled to make choices for someone else's control issues so I would do the 'Kobyashi Maru' thing and change the test. Everyone dies just to spoil the results.

kristi noser said...

Sounds like a Batman movie to me.

erin said...

Are you gonna tell us about your "skill" that you and I were discussing this weekend?

Jessica The Drifter said...

Ok I need more information to analyze this. Are they all geniuses or imbred idiots? What is the reasoning for the predicament? What are the people like selfish, heroic, etc?

Hypothetically I would say that I would sacrafice 10 but ONLY because I would like the think the other 90 would help in the greater good for man. Or maybe they will/can have a significant impact on humanity.